commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject [logging] Adding jndi java:env support
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:29:21 GMT
Based on Ceki's email - I think it would be a good idea to add
this mechanism in the default logging factory.

My proposal is to insert a lookup for

 java:comp/env/CommonsLoggingFactory

at the top of the discovery chain. If such a factory exists, it'll
be used to create the logger. If not, we'll continue with the
normal mechanism.

The big downsize is that we'll add a compile dependency on
JNDI ( the code can catch ClassNotFound - and run even if
JNDI is not present ).

This will allow containers using commons-logging to better enforce
isolation between apps.

In addition, I think we should add an optional "domain name" prefix.
If such a prefix is set ( for example in java:comp/env/CommonsLoggingDomain)
then it'll be added in front of every log name that is created.

For example, if the container will set myHost:8080/myApp/ as a prefix,
 logs created in that app will be named:
  myHost:8080/myApp/org.apache.....

As a note, web.xml allows you to define and set a number of
jndi entries. This could also be used to allow user-based tuning,
but in general the container settings should be able to
take preference .

Costin