commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject [modeler] removing deps ?
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 07:09:47 GMT
It would be reasonably easy to remove the deps of modeler on
digester ( use DOM or SAX directly instead ) and beanutils (
 we use only a a very small piece ).
Our use of introspection will not be exposed to the user and
we have some very specific requirements ( as mandated by the spec ),
so there's little benefit of using the general purpose beanutils -
quite the contrary.

Modeler is a very critical piece - it needs to be in the parent
loader ( if we want to control tomcat or other apps via JMX and
modeler ), and it'll be critical for security. The fewer public
APIs it exposes ( besides JMX ) and the fewer classes it drags into
the same protection domain - the better it is.

We'll not "duplicate" anything - the code to do what we need
already exists ( in several forms ), we'll just use it ( adapted
to the specific needs ). I don't think it'll be a problem with
the duplicated maintainance either - the code we need has been
quite stable for a long time and I think people working and using
the modeler have enough experience to do maintain this code.

Craig ? Remy ? Other people who are interested in modeler ?

Costin