commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [beanutils] moving reflection classes out of beanutils
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 18:51:25 GMT
scolebourne@btopenworld.com wrote:

>>  from:    Jeff  Robertson <Jeff.Robertson@magnetbanking.com>
>> > From: Rodney Waldhoff [mailto:rwaldhoff@apache.org]
>> Costin> If duplication is a concern - then just use
>> Costin> beanutils ( however duplication is explicitely
>> Costin> allowed in commons AFAIK).
>>
>> Robert> i've been convinced that beanutils is
>> Robert> not the right place for this code.
>>
>> Rodney> And I'm convinced that lang isn't the right place either.  Let's
>> split the
>> Rodney> difference and propose commons-reflect or commons-reflection or
>> whatever,
>> Rodney> and end this thread.
>>
> Jeff> As I think several people have pointed out, isn't that what "clazz"
> is Jeff> supposed to be?
>
> No. [clazz] is high level pluggable introspection.

Please stop this nonsense "where it should be".

Code will be where people write it - if someone wants to write and maintain
reflection code in clazz, do so. Same for lang, beanutils, ant or tomcat.
If you don't want to maintain the reflection code in beanutils - don't.

You can't block a change or a feature because some other component
implements it. The charter allows duplicated features, so I don't consider
this a valid veto reason.

Costin