commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [util][lang] Disbanding and distributing
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:07:12 GMT

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote on 17/12/2002
> 08:17:13 PM:
>
> > I propose creating a 'util' package within [lang]. This would contain
> > BitField
> > StopWatch
> > XmlUtils ?? (maybe just the escaping)
> Works for me.

+1. Escaping and removeXml I would keep. They're both simple and useful
[and used in String taglib].

> > I propose creating an 'identifier' package within [lang]. This would
> contain
> > /identifier
> Yip, lang is as good as any other place for it.
>
> > I propose deleting
> > Interpolator
> Does anyone currently use it?

No. It also came out of StringUtils.

> > I propose adding to [lang]
> > WordWrapUtils
> Works for me.
>
> > I propose clarifying the scope of [lang] to cover utilities and helpers
> in
> > both java.lang and java.util.
> How will that affect collections?

Yeah, this scope is too broad. I think we want to avoid using java.util
here as java.util is patently wrong. We should just be vague with
something like standard JDK utilities or something :)

Hen