commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: DateUtils Planning, WAS: [lang] Has anyone thought about a TimeUtils package?
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:48:23 GMT

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Sean Schofield wrote:

> OK.  Lets get this rolling!
>
> I checked in the DateUtils and DateUtilsTest classes from ant (with a
> modification to the javadoc saying where we stole these from) into the
> jakarta-commons-sandbox/lang project.

*grin* Always dangerous to announce early. Can't tell how many times it's
bitten me. [No.. I can't tell. It'd be embaressing].

> I think you are correct about waiting to bug the ant folks until we've
> tested the code out and its part of an official commons release.

They'll figure things out as time goes by. Lang will quite easily slip
into lots of projects without much marketing.

> Now how to you want to procede?  You mentioned getting the build into
> shape ... how are we going to handle the build?  Do we do a build just
> for DateUtils or do we copy the build script from commons into the
> sandbox or what?

Merge CalendarUtils + DateUtils into a common concept, be it in many
classes or not. Continue to discuss on the Dev list about such thigns as:
Should there be a TimestampUtils or a TimeUtils, and is it i18n friendly
enough?

Rely on Stephen Colebourne's experience from JODA Dates a lot and try to
keep the Lang date component short and snappy.

Embrace the concept of "No Religion", that is, any Java developer should
find your date code useful and not just the ones who are prepared to do
things your particular way.

Some thoughts,

Hen