commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Beanutils] MethodUtils: private getMatchingAccessibleMethod()
Date Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:15:47 GMT
On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 10:39 AM, Arnd Kohrs wrote:

<snip>

>     Robert> if you want it public, why not roll your own version from
>     Robert> the source?
>
> Overhead of duplication!
>
> I don't understand why a method which invokes a loosely specified method
> is
> public, but a method which just tells me if a loosely specified method
> exists needs to be private?

you've hit on nail on the head :)

the methodutils API is poor and needs to be replaced by something more
tightly specified. some work has been done on a new version of methodutils
in the lang component but it's still under development.

> May be my reasoning has some merit, and
> MethodUtils.getMatchingAccessibleMethod() can be changed to public.  If
> this is not possible then maybe invokeMethod(...) should be deprecated.

i hope that the version of methodutils in beanutils will be deprecated as
soon as the improved API taking shape in lang is finished. some other
people may feel differently.

probably i'll see what other people think about changing
MethodUtils.getMatchingAccessibleMethod() to public for the next release.

- robert