commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [core] Scope, you choose!
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:17:07 GMT
On Saturday, December 7, 2002, at 06:26 AM, Costin Manolache wrote:

<snip>

> What I fail to understand is what is the real issue of debate -
> if you want to create a library for reflection, do it.
> That doesn't mean you have to force everyone to use it or to stop
> people from working on other reflection libraries or to say that the other
> reflection code should move to your component.
>
> If a piece of code works well, is stable, fast, clean and does
> what it is needed - it will be used, and people will stop working
> on other implementations. If some other implementation does
> something different and people need that - then probably both
> will exist for a while.

what we're talking about with reflection is not code that does anything
different. all versions of the basic reflection utilities will work in
basically the same way and have fundamentally the same features.

the difference will be almost purely in which bugs they have. the politics
of dependencies is the only reason why people need different versions.

- robert