commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <...@AlmostHuman.com>
Subject Re: [modeler] removing deps ?
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:08:20 GMT
On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 10:38 PM, Costin Manolache wrote:

> robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> the reflection code - on the other hand - has proved buggy and unstable.
>> (the problem is that the reflection code in java 1.3 doesn't work very
>> well.)
>
> I'm not sure what exactly you have in mind ( as problems with reflection
> ).

getMethod (for example) doesn't work properly in java 1.3 JVMs (and
possible others). this is (said to be) pretty much fixed in java 1.4.

> I'm familiar with the code in ant and tomcat - and I don't remeber any
> serious problem that would affect modeler. I plan to use one of those 2 -
> and most of the "leg work" is already done.

the problems seem to arise when people start wanting to do slightly
unusual things which are ok in compiled code. for example, public methods
in a public subclass of a default access superclass can't be accessed when
found by getMethod. (i can probably look up some more examples, if you
like.)

- robert