commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: JNDI based selection
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:31:47 GMT

Costin Manolache wrote:

 > One comment: application isolation is not a voluntary thing. If we
 > want to isolate the loggers you can't allow the application to specify
 > what logger it wants in web.xml and hope they'll not use the same
 > name.

OK, the solution I presented solves the "VOLUNTATRY separation of
logging" problem. It can be further refined to address the
"MANDATORY separation of logging" problem Costin mentions.

Costin suggested the use of string prefixes to enforce mandatory
separation which is quite a nice idea.

One possible approach is to have the string values stored in JNDI to
be prefixed by the host name if requested to so by the <host> element
within the server.xml file. Thus, the log4j repository selector can
provide a host specific logger hierarchy for the hosts that request
the service. Moreover, the host specific logger hierarchy cannot be
spoofed by other hosts living in the same container. Looks like we
have got a solution to the mandatory logging separation problem.

Now, this solution requires that the Container directly provide
support for log4j. Will Tomcat do that? Probably not, at least not
until all the other containers do. How ironic would that be?

--
Ceki