commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <n...@schof.com>
Subject Re: [lang] DateUtils
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:46:18 GMT

>Makes the roles so far [as a kind of semi-STATUS.html]
>
>CalendarUtils/DateUtils - Sean Schofield
>
>These need thought and whittling down.
>
>ImprovedSimpleDateFormat - Stephen Colebourne (?)
>
>  This should be based from a class submitted to JODA.
>
>Interested Parties
>
>Eric Pugh
>Christopher Reck
>Jakarta Ant [original developers of DateUtils]
>Dmitri Plotnikov [original developer of CalendarUtils]
>
>Decisions to be made:
>
>Whether to move code into org.apache.commons.lang.time at a later date.
>
>Other ideas:
>
>DateRange? Holder for two dates.
>StopWatch. Time recording code in Jakarta Util [I've a bit I'd like to add
>to it] that needs a home.

Sounds good.  A few other points ...

Hen has a good point about the naming of DateUtils.  The current
DateUtils might be more appropriately names DateFormatUtils.  I need
some more time to examine the current ___Utils classes before I can say
for sure.

Under the "other ideas" section I would add a "time sync" feature (as an
 idea, not necessarily that it should definitely go in) so that you
could call a static function to recalibrate the sytem time (ex. if the
user's pc thinks its Dec 1 and its really Dec 8) and then another static
function to get the "adjusted" current time.

- sean