commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph.R...@dlr.de
Subject Re: [lang] DateUtils
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:10:49 GMT

Sean Schofield wrote:
> Still haven't had a chance to review CalendarUtils.  In the meantime,
> here are my thoughts on the existing DateUtils methods:
>
> 1) Eliminate getPhaseOfMoon( ) as has already been suggested.  (I wonder
> how the Ant guys were planning on using that)  ;-)

A stated elsewhere in this thread... this is more for a CalendarUtil for
non gregorian calendars...

> 2) Rename getDateForHeader( ) to getSmtpDate( ) or something more
> descriptive.

I remember seeing that the HTTP (and SMTP) RFCs state a specific IEEE
standard for the date string format.

So I believe we should either have static helpers like formatISO8601(Date)
or even format(Date, String) with the String being the ISO, RFC or IEEE
standards (similar to the i8n string/stream utlities).

> 3) createDateFormat( ) should return our new thread-safe DateFormat
> (maybe this will be an inner class for now?)

+1

--
:) Christoph Reck