commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph.R...@dlr.de
Subject Re: [lang] Has anyone thought about a TimeUtils package?
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:48:46 GMT
Hi,

Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Sean Schofield wrote:
>

>>>I took a quick look at Joda's date parser and saw it has its own
>>>engine.
>>>
>>>I believe the commons one should lean onto the syntax of the java's,
>>>such that should allow it as a bug free plug-in replacement of Sun's.
>>
>>>What do others think?
>>
>>I agree.  I don't think we want to write a  new DateFormat from scratch.
>> Perhaps we can write our own class with synchronized methods that wraps
>>the existing SimpleDateFormat (just a thought.)  Or maybe we can rip the
>>source from the JDK version and add the fixes there.
>

> Just to get it in quick. -1 to ripping source from the JDK. Licenses bite
> our arses too quickly when you get near here so it's not something ASF can
> do.

My point was that JDK DateFormat code is *so* broken we do not want to rip
it, nor place a synchronized warpper around it. License is another issue...

>>>I need to take a look at Ant's code. Maybe
>>>I'll take the leap and start a working bug free plug-in replacement
>>>of Sun's SimpleDateFormat if no one has taken the lead...
>>
>>We have already moved the ant code int the lang module of CVS (moved it
>>yesterday).  Right now its identical to the Ant code.  We're going to go
>>from there.  A thread-safe DateFormat would probably be a good next
>>step.  We're also trying to figure out what to do with CalendarUtils
>>which came from the sandbox.  (See the recent email thread concerning
>>DateUtils for yesterday's discussion on this.)
>

> I'm starting to want a time sub-package as this gets larger :) Once it
> hits 3 classes or so.

Either make the DateFormat an inner class to the ant DateUtil or maybe
if the date stuff grows to more than 3 classes, create a subpackage.
I don't have any string feelings on this issue of where (you all in
commons have done a good job in packaging until now!).

--
:) Christoph Reck