commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <n...@schof.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Has anyone thought about a TimeUtils package?
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:08:10 GMT
> I took a quick look at Joda's date parser and saw it has its own
> engine.
>
> I believe the commons one should lean onto the syntax of the java's,
> such that should allow it as a bug free plug-in replacement of Sun's.

> What do others think?

I agree.  I don't think we want to write a  new DateFormat from scratch.
 Perhaps we can write our own class with synchronized methods that wraps
the existing SimpleDateFormat (just a thought.)  Or maybe we can rip the
source from the JDK version and add the fixes there.

> I need to take a look at Ant's code. Maybe
> I'll take the leap and start a working bug free plug-in replacement
> of Sun's SimpleDateFormat if no one has taken the lead...

We have already moved the ant code int the lang module of CVS (moved it
yesterday).  Right now its identical to the Ant code.  We're going to go
from there.  A thread-safe DateFormat would probably be a good next
step.  We're also trying to figure out what to do with CalendarUtils
which came from the sandbox.  (See the recent email thread concerning
DateUtils for yesterday's discussion on this.)

- sean