commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <n...@schof.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Has anyone thought about a TimeUtils package?
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:32:32 GMT

>That sounds like a plan.  I checked with one of the committers for Ant, and
>it seems like we can just copy the DateUtils class and cite it.

So its ok to "rip" the code but I wonder if they are cool with
eventually moving it to commons so it is only maintained in one spot.  I
think that should be the ultimate goal since it does not make sense to
maintain duplicate code (b/c a good portion of this new DateUtils in
commons lang will be identical as we have said.)

>The
>DateUtils is what I am using as well.  Would this new code go into it's own
>sandbox, or be part of the lang project?

I think the first thing to do would be to add DateUtils (I noticed they
already call it DateUtils which matches what I felt we should call it)
from Ant and add it to the existing sandbox for lang (under
jakarta-commons-sandbox/lang/src/java/org/apache/commons/lang.)  We
change the package name and add the cite saying this was originally
taken from the jakarta-ant project.  Also we do the same for their test
cases (moving them to
jakarta-commons-sandbox/lang/src/test/org/apache/commons/lang.)

>I would say, start small, and make sure that as each piece of code is added,

Agreed.  Lets just start with moving it first as mentioned above.  Also
I was thinking about starting another email thread with a more specific
subject (or should we just continue with this one?)

>we get it well integrated before getting the next batch.

What did you mean by this?  Integrated with what?  Do you mean the
official commons-lang?

- sean