commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Morpher] status of the project
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:57:49 GMT

Tomasz Pik wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>> I started to look at Morpher codebase in Jakarta CVS
>>> because it looks like something I'm currently looking for.
>>> First I'd like to ask, if there's any work on this (it looks
>>> like CVS is untouched since some months)?
>>
>> Currently it's not being actively developed, but the reasons why it
>> started are still there and it's still needed. If you want to
>> help-contribute, I'd be very happy :-)
>

> First set of thoughts
> 1 add 'equals' and 'hashCode' to ObjectFlavor to let it works in Maps;
> 2 add
>   'registerMorpher(String name, String className,
>       Collection inputFlavors, Collection outputFlavors);
>   to BasicMorpherFactory;
> 3 add Map that maps every 'registered' input ObjectFlavor to Map
>   which map output ObjectFlavor to morpher name (I believe that
>   there might be a better structure to handle this mapping, right
>   now it's just HashMap);
> 4 implement getMorpher(ObjectFlavor, ObjectFlavor) using Map from (3)
>   (maybe it should support creating piplelines?);
>
> and first question:
> If Morpher support ObjectFlavors A, B as input and X, Y as output,
> does it support all possible conversions (A->X, A->Y, B->X, B->Y)?
> If not, (2) needs to be redefined.

It doesn not. We should make it clearer that a Morpher can support
Flavor *pairs*, so in the above example it should be A->X, B->Y.

Probably something like

    'registerMorpher(String name, String className,
           FlavorPairs inputOputputFlavorPairs);

> If (1)-(4) are acceptable, patch will come.

Definately ok. It seems you have perfectly understood the usage of
Morphos, good  :-)

The next thing we really need is docs.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -