commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <>
Subject Re: [lang] Has anyone thought about a TimeUtils package?
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:21:13 GMT
>Once we get the code base somewhat nailed down, I'll take a stab at writing
>unit tests for the sets of existing code that don't have test cases.
What code would this be?

>anyone gotton in touch with the Ant folks and asked about copying/moving
>some of their good time code over?
No but I think that would be a good idea.  I'll send an email to their
dev list once we get a few things squared away.  I did look at their
code and they have some nice stuff to build on.  I think we should
consider starting a new project in the sandbox with the "ripped"
time/date code from ant and build from there?

I'm thinking we should follow the example of the exisitng ___Utils
classes  where have a bunch of static helper methods.  I'm not sure what
to call this class, I was thinking DateUtils since most of these methods
involve use of java.util.Date.

After we get that all set up, I would recommend we take Stephen up on
his offer to provide a thread-safe formatter.  I think a thread-safe
formatter with the quality functions from ant would be nice.  Then we
can look at adding a few of the other contributions floating out there
(including the IsoDateTool in rupert that was mentioned) plus a few of
our own new ideas.

- sean

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>