commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <n...@schof.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Has anyone thought about a TimeUtils package?
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:24:28 GMT

>>Please be warned, that Date is a fragile/controversial issue, since
>>1. The java SimpleDateFormatter is not thread safe
>>2. Dates have many locale specific representation.
>>

>Indeed, Sun's dates are pretty rubbish. Joda has a 0.8 release, which has
>thread safe formatting including time zone handling and locale handling. It
>still needs more work though.
>
>Stephen

What is not thread safe about SimpleDateFormatter?  If this is true that
seems kind of serious!  (I will take a look at the source tonight but it
might help if you gave me a hint)

Anyways, this thread safety business sounds like something that might be
useful to a lot of programmers out there.  I will take a look at what
you've done in joda and see if I can't figure it out.  Maybe we could
make a thread-safe version of SimpleDate Formatter be part of the
proposed TimeUtils/DateUtils/whatever in commons-lang?

Thoughts?

- sean