commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <n...@schof.com>
Subject Re: [digester] i'd like to contribute - here's my new feature idea
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:58:23 GMT
> I don't want to squash Sean's enthusiasm, but I don't yet understand
> the need for this modification.

Don't worry about my enthusiasm.  I'm just throwing this out as an idea.
 I can take thoughtful criticism.  If we nix this idea, I have some
other ideas that I could contribute (eventually folks will like one of
them and that will be where I start).

> Robert's concern about the attribute is correct, because nothing
> anywhere in XML guarantees the order of attributes for an element.
> They're just a soup of names and values.

I was only thinking of grabbing the first attribute because I was making
the assumption that in that case it would be the only one (so order
wouldn't be an issue.)  I wasn't entirely comfortable with that idea,
but that's why I threw it out there.

> Couldn't Sean achieve his goals with the existing code and using
> "java.lang.Object" as the base class?

I hadn't thought of that!  I think that would work nicely and it would
be fairly obvious to somone studying my code what I was trying to do there.

> While it's great to encourage participation, it's worth while to
> exercise restraint with APIs.

Couldn't agree more.  We don't want to bloat these great Commons APIs
with custom features for one or two programmers.  I thought my problem
was general enough (and it is) its just that everything I need is
already there (although hard to find without a lot of documentation or
examples).

> Ultimately, if Sean really doesn't like the ObjectCreateRule, I would
> suggest that in this case he should just write his own rule
> implementation that behaves the way he needs it to.

Now that I've pieced together how to do this with current code I agree
with Joe that the patch isn't really necessary.  Believe me, I did look
over the existing code before charging in with a feature request.
 Perhaps I can make a contribution in the area of improved documentation
(perhaps example programs) when the time comes for that?

I've actually got a few other ideas I'm mulling over.  I'll submit them
to the group for consideration when they're a little more flushed out.

Thanks for the help and feedback.

Sean