commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [configuration] XmlConfiguration
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:07:32 GMT

Martin Poeschl wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Kelvin Tan wrote:

>>> hmmmm...I'm not too sure what you're getting at. I'm kinda referring
>>> to something which adheres the Configuration interface, but for XML
>>> files.
>>
>> Repeat: if you use jxpath to make that implementation of the
>> Configuration interface, you get pluggability for free. Or maybe you
>> don't know what jxpath is.
>>
>>> Many projects use xml configuration files, and its odd that each
>>> project has its own implementation. Isn't that what the configuration
>>> sub-project is for (and Commons as a whole), to factor out common
>>> components?
>>
>> If you want to make sonething that is used project-wide, then look at
>> what is already there, and factor out a common denominator.
>> Avalon has a Configuration, and will not switch to the Commons easily.
>

> 10 other projects also have their implementation and they don't want to
> switch :-((((

My main point is that it's not easy.
We all have legacy interfaces to support, that is really a problem.

> it definitly doesn't make sense to have 10 implemetations for something
> like reading an xml config file!!!

"implementation" is the magic word. Commons logging is also an
abstraction and this makes it difficult to be used in projects that have
another abstractions. But implementations are easier to plug-in.

> is it really impossible to find a solution which can be used by all
> projects??
>
> let's join forces to find a way to have one configuration package!!!

+1

Definately.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -