commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Poeschl <mpoes...@marmot.at>
Subject Re: [configuration] XmlConfiguration
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:41:08 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Kelvin Tan wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:25:10 +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi said:
>>
>>> In the Ant codebase, in the proposals/embed dir, ther is a task that
>>> uses jxpath for configuration. JXPath can make use of more things
>>> than just XML, and is thus much more flexible, and has xpath
>>> support.
>>> I'd take a look at that file and give that a shot for config.
>>

>> hmmmm...I'm not too sure what you're getting at. I'm kinda referring
>> to something which adheres the Configuration interface, but for XML
>> files.
>

> Repeat: if you use jxpath to make that implementation of the
> Configuration interface, you get pluggability for free. Or maybe you
> don't know what jxpath is.
>
>> Many projects use xml configuration files, and its odd that each
>> project has its own implementation. Isn't that what the configuration
>> sub-project is for (and Commons as a whole), to factor out common
>> components?
>

> If you want to make sonething that is used project-wide, then look at
> what is already there, and factor out a common denominator.
> Avalon has a Configuration, and will not switch to the Commons easily.

10 other projects also have their implementation and they don't want to
switch :-((((

it definitly doesn't make sense to have 10 implemetations for something
like reading an xml config file!!!
is it really impossible to find a solution which can be used by all
projects??

let's join forces to find a way to have one configuration package!!!

martin