commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: DBCP tracking stale connections?
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:52:27 GMT
DBCP can close connections if they have been opened to long by a client.
The close check is issued only when another request to obtain a
connection is made.

As for testing for stale connections - there is a parameter when DBCP
pools are created that allow you to specify a query to check a
connections health. If the query fails  - then the connection is
considered bad and DBCP will discard the connection and open a new one.

Martin van Dijken wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> I know I should ask this question on users, but bear with me a second. Does DBCP track
and terminate connections which have been idle so long that they are killed by the DBMS?

> The reason I ask, is that after 8 hours of inactivity on a website(and thus DBconnections)
mysql considers connections to be lost and kills them. After that the website fails to work.
All connections throw IOExceptions telling me that no connection could be established.