commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [configuration] XmlConfiguration
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 08:11:15 GMT

Kelvin Tan wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:25:10 +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi said:
>
>>In the Ant codebase, in the proposals/embed dir, ther is a task that
>>uses jxpath for configuration. JXPath can make use of more things
>>than just XML, and is thus much more flexible, and has xpath
>>support.
>>I'd take a look at that file and give that a shot for config.
>
> hmmmm...I'm not too sure what you're getting at. I'm kinda referring
> to something which adheres the Configuration interface, but for XML
> files.

Repeat: if you use jxpath to make that implementation of the
Configuration interface, you get pluggability for free. Or maybe you
don't know what jxpath is.

> Many projects use xml configuration files, and its odd that
> each project has its own implementation. Isn't that what the
> configuration sub-project is for (and Commons as a whole), to factor
> out common components?

If you want to make sonething that is used project-wide, then look at
what is already there, and factor out a common denominator.
Avalon has a Configuration, and will not switch to the Commons easily.

> The minus side, of course, is tagging on another lib dependency,
> dom4j in this case.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -