commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Drake <Tom.Dr...@tavant.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE][PROPOSAL] commons-functor
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2002 01:41:15 GMT
I've submitted a TransformerChain, ClosureList, and a ProxiesPredicate
(sub-classed by AndPredicate and OrPredicate) which are essentially chain of
responsibility impls.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 4:07 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [VOTE][PROPOSAL] commons-functor

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

> ----- Ballot: Cut Here -----
> I vote as follows on approving Functor as a
> Jakarta-Commons component:
>
> [ ] +1 - I support this proposal and am willing to help
> [X] +0 - I support this proposal, but cannot assist
> [ ] -0 - I don't support this proposal
> [ ] -1 - I vote against this proposal for the following
>          technical reason: ______________
> ----- Ballot: Cut Here -----

Out of curiousity, do you consider APIs and implementations of the "chain
of responsibility" pattern [GOF95] to be in scope for [functor]?

Essentially, you'd be composing chains out of functors in some fashion,
and then passing in an execution request to the first element of the
chain, which could then delegate as needed.  The Filter APIs in Servlet
2.3 are one possible implementation of this pattern, although you could
certainly do the actual APIs in a variety of ways.

I've been noodling on some ideas that could benefit from a common API for
this pattern.

Craig McClanahan

For additional commands, e-mail: