commons-dev mailing list archives

From Lavandowska <flanandow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [cache] Release?
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:28:26 GMT

--- Colin Chalmers <colin.chalmers@maxware.nl> wrote:
> What's the difference between this and Stratum which is also a
> caching mechanism, I believe.

Is Stratum the new name for Turbine's JCS?  If so, there is little
difference in their intent.  JCS offers full remote cache options and
several options for memory management and caching strategies
(file-based, for example).

Commons-cache (Ccache) is "simpler" and less feature rich.

> For what kind of apps could I use this for? WebBased getting info
> from a DB?

I've used Ccache primarily to implement some simple caches, such as a
webpage caching filter.  I imagine you could use it to cache database
fetches, but there are many OR tools that do this already.

It doesn't look like JCS has been packaged yet either, I couldn't find
any means to get it independant of Turbine (I didn't grab source
though).

=====
Lance Lavandowska
Http://www.brainopolis.com/