commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [cache] Release?
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:09:59 GMT
I dropped [cache] into the sandbox quite some time age.  At the time we
were kicking around various commons-cache notions.  The [simplestore]
component was created a bit later, with a slightly different but
overlapping scope, but has similiarly languished.

While the [cache] code hasn't been touched in quite some time, it is quite
stable and functional, in fact, it is a direct repackaging of code that I
did use and still use regularly for production deployments.  I haven't had
the inclination or the need to change it much (well, literally at all
IIRC).  If I had to do it over again, I'd probably simplify it
dramatically.  I wasn't nearly as bitten by the extreme bug at the time.

I don't have a substantial amount of time to work on cache at this time,
but if you're interested in moving forward with it, I'd suggest we try to
refine it a bit in the sandbox before proposing it for commons proper.
(Since the code has sat untouched for over a year, a proposal right now is
virtually guaranteed to fail.)

Some changes that I think I'd like to see:

* add javadocs and additional documentation

* replace the jocl configuration with something else (derived from jelly?
digester?)

* remove or revise the Cache.getStat functionality, its too complicated
and I'm not sure I've even used it

* remove or revise the remote package. it was never completed

Lance, were there any changes you had in mind?

Actually, poking around in this I might be feeling some itches to scratch.