commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Ola Berg" <ola.b...@ports.se>
Subject Re: [lang] what about mutable BigInteger etc.
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 08:17:49 GMT

On 2002-12-23 at 19:05 Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> However, I would not be averse to adding mutable versions of the Number
> classes to math. I would want to see the complete set however,
> MutableBigDecimal, MutableBigInteger, MutableInteger, MutableLong,
> MutableDouble, MutableFloat and MutableFraction. They would need to be
> Number subclasses.

I think the word "mutable" leads wrong. The number in itself isn't mutable, it is the object
that is told to hold a completely different number.

What about "container" or "holder" to indicate that it is something that more or less resembles
a variable? You can assign different values to it but use it just as a literal (immutable)
in any calculation, just as a variable.

/O