commons-dev mailing list archives

From Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>
Subject Re: GenerateUniqueId.java
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:50:57 GMT
> > > I would like deprecation to happen for a time period before deletion, if
> > > the code was not part of a release, especially in Commons, where the code
> > > is by design meant to be used by others. And the code base can be stable,
> > > without a release for a long time.
> > > </rant>
> >
> > Bless you dIon.
> >
> > More frequent releases and/or policies like you describe would help.
> >
> > But mostly, we need people to care and work together.
> >

> I agree that "working together" is important.  IMHO, that includes a few
> more steps by the people that extract a reusable chunk of code from some
> other project into a sandbox module -- if the originating project adopts a
> dependency on a sandbox project, there's a fair degree of "shame on you"
> for them as well as for people working on the sandbox library.
>
> And yes, I'm currently in the same boat on one of my big projects (Struts
> HEAD depends on commons-resources from the sandbox).  The difference is
> that there is no way I'd ever do a final release of Struts 1.1 without
> having commons-resources promoted to the Commons and released (or removing
> the dependency).
>
> > - Sam Ruby
> >

> Craig McClanahan

(An outsider's point.)

What about the IBM eclipse practice? They have

- nightly builds (same way as gump)
- intergration builds (this can be the mediator concept between realeases
  and simple builds and they have them cca. every week)
- milestone releases (dev releases in jakarta parlance)
- beta releases
- and releases.

incze