commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GenerateUniqueId.java
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 04:55:47 GMT

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:54:40 -0500
> From: Sam Ruby <rubys@apache.org>
> To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: GenerateUniqueId.java
>
> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> > <rant>
> > I think Gump is the best tool we have for doing this, and we need to be
> > nicer citizens.
> >
> > Having just been bitten by HttpClient deleting methods that have been
> > available for months in CVS, I'm starting to question the current process
> > of only deprecating if a method has been available in a 'release' product.
> >
> > I would like deprecation to happen for a time period before deletion, if
> > the code was not part of a release, especially in Commons, where the code
> > is by design meant to be used by others. And the code base can be stable,
> > without a release for a long time.
> > </rant>
>
> Bless you dIon.
>
> More frequent releases and/or policies like you describe would help.
>
> But mostly, we need people to care and work together.

I agree that "working together" is important.  IMHO, that includes a few
more steps by the people that extract a reusable chunk of code from some
other project into a sandbox module -- if the originating project adopts a
dependency on a sandbox project, there's a fair degree of "shame on you"
for them as well as for people working on the sandbox library.

And yes, I'm currently in the same boat on one of my big projects (Struts
HEAD depends on commons-resources from the sandbox).  The difference is
that there is no way I'd ever do a final release of Struts 1.1 without
having commons-resources promoted to the Commons and released (or removing
the dependency).

> - Sam Ruby

Craig McClanahan