commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Adding jndi java:env support
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 02:29:05 GMT

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Costin Manolache wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:29:51 -0800
> From: Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com>
> To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [logging] Adding jndi java:env support
>
> The big issue is the behavior.
>
> My proposal was: if java:env/comp/LoggingDomain is set ( as a String ),
> it'll be used as a prefix in all loggers ( that don't have a prefix ).
> The syntax for the logger names will become:
>    DOMAIN:LOGGER
> And all loggers will have to be configured with this name ( if running
> in a container env with LoggingDomain support ).
>
> This is very important - and I would like to see more opinions. Maybe
> we should use the domain as a suffix instead of prefix ? Then you would
> have:
>   org.apache.foo:host:8080/examples
> as the log name, but you can set org.apache.foo.* to debug and enable
> the loggers in all apps.
>
> The prefix is cleaner, but the suffix may be easier to configure.
>
> For implementation - I'm in no hurry ( I would like to have it before
> tomcat5 is released - but that's not very close ). And I can use
> reflecion or a hook, if needed.

I'm neutral on prefix versus suffix (although prefix feels a little more
in keeping with the hierarchical naming I tend to use for logging).  But
that raises an important consideration -- do the underlying logging
implementations we support deal gracefully with a ":" syntax in a logger
name?  In particlar, could I configure a logger for "DOMAIN:" and have it
apply to all loggers in that domain?  I'm wondering if we might want to
use a period (".") as the connector instead.

> Costin

Craig