commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Schofield" <n...@schof.com>
Subject Re: [digester] i'd like to contribute - here's my new feature idea
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:59:42 GMT
>(if i've understood you right) then i think that this functionality exists
>already (or very nearly does).
>
>take a look at the ObjectCreateRule(String classname, String attributeName)
>. this will create an object who class name is given in an attribute of
>the xml. at the moment, you have to specify a class name (which is used as
>a default class to construct if the attribute isn't present) but it should
>be very easy to create a patch which eases this restriction.
>
>but don't let that put you off if you think you have a better solution.

Robert,

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately I didn't see it until after I sent my last message.
 As far as the small patch to ease this restriction that's what I proposed in the last email
I sent.  Let me know what you think (I'd like to take a crack at writing the path, test case,
etc. if this ends up being agreeable with everyone.)

Joe,

As for the second part of my problem (the dynamic properties) I agree that functionality may
already exist to handle this.  I will take a look at your comments plus finish working a possible
solution that I'm experimenting with.

All,

Is this the correct newsgroup for me to be raising these kinds of issues or should I have
started in "user" first (so others could benefit from the answers) and then move it off to
"dev" once we agree to work on it?

Thanks,

Sean