commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Schofield" <n...@schof.com>
Subject [digester] i'd like to contribute - here's my new feature idea
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:15:02 GMT
Greetings,

I have been using the great software developed by the jakarta team for some time now.  I have
found it very useful and I would like to contribute something.  I'd like to start with the
commons digester and I have a specific idea.  Let me know if people would like to see this
implemented.  I think sending an email to this list is the right way to get started but I
appologize in advance if its not.

Here is a generic example of the problem I was trying to solve with digester and an explanation
of how the current code did not completely meet my needs (although I just got started with
digester so I may have overlooked something).  The example is building a GUI client for a
program where the components used to build the client are dynamically configured through an
XML file.  For simplicity I will not address the possibility of components containing other
components.  Here is the xml:

<client>
    <component classname="ComponentA"/>
    <component classname="ComponentB">
    	<property name="SomeProperty" value="some value"/>
    </component>
</client>

Now I'd like the digester to create a Client object when it encounters the <client>
tag.  OK so far, I'll just use the standard ObjectCreateRule.  The problem then becomes that
I know I will be encountering the "client/component" pattern but I don't know what types of
objects they are until runtime.  I'd like to be able to specify the classname somehow instead
of hardcoding it in the rule setup (or dynamically creating the rule).  Also, each component
may have zero or more properties to set but I don't know the name of the properties in advance.

I have a specific solution in mind if the team is interested in hearing it (actually a few
possible solutions).  If its determined that we don't want to do it there will be no hard
feelings.  I definitely want to contribute something and all of the mailling lists just say
go ahead and jump in.  If this is a "no go" then I'd be happy to help in another capacity.

TIA for your feedback on this and keep up the good work!

- sean