commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [core] Scope, you choose!
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:25:04 GMT

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Henri Yandell wrote:

> One potential criteria for the zipped Commons distro would be that it must
> not be dependent on external jars, ie) the distro is entirely
> self-cohesive.

Wouldn't this restrict us to include only Commons components that do not
depend on things that *cannot* be redistributed?  I don't personally see a
problem inheriting the external dependencies of the underlying packages.

I'm only interested/willing to support a single default configuration for
combo:  "latest released versions of all jakarta-commons packages (i.e. no
sandbox), combined into a single JAR, with integrated Javadocs."  For the
current selection of released packages, the list of external dependencies
is pretty short (jdbc20ext.jar, jmx.jar, oro.jar), but will grow rapidly
if/when jelly becomes a standard jakarta-commons component.

Others, of course, are free to add build targets for the subsets they are
interested in, or tweak the rules to enable conditional inclusion via Ant
properties.

> Hen

Craig