commons-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Burdick <>
Subject Re: [Collections] [SUBMIT] Trie
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 16:25:51 GMT
As a frequent user of Commons-Collections, I can support the usefulness
of a Trie implementation in Collections.

Most algorithms textbooks use Trie as an advanced data structure for
fast string retrieval.  It is discussed in Knuth's Art of Computer

I'm not convinced that Tries can be optimally stored as objects.
Perhaps we will want a Trie interface that supports primitive char
access as well as a TrieMap interface that is object-based and extends

--- Stephen Colebourne <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've taken a quick look at the code here, and that all looks fine.
> Unfortunately, I don't really know what I'm looking at! What I mean
> is that
> I've never heard of a 'Trie' before, and am thus wondering as to why
> I would
> use it, and is it general enough to be in [collections].
> In the past we have had discussions about Tree implementations (and I
> have
> coded some before). This may be related, as the Trie appears to be a
> recursive structure.
> Perhaps, some use cases as to why a Trie is useful, especially in a
> general/server environment would be useful. Thanks.
> Stephen

Do you Yahoo!?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>