commons-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Burdick <charles_burd...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Collections] [SUBMIT] Trie
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 16:25:51 GMT
As a frequent user of Commons-Collections, I can support the usefulness
of a Trie implementation in Collections.

Most algorithms textbooks use Trie as an advanced data structure for
fast string retrieval.  It is discussed in Knuth's Art of Computer
Programming.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201485419/ref=lib_rd_ss_TI73/102-3297886-4987356?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader&img=86&coliid=I3GKWA6SDKHVJ5#reader-link

I'm not convinced that Tries can be optimally stored as objects.
Perhaps we will want a Trie interface that supports primitive char
access as well as a TrieMap interface that is object-based and extends
Collection.

Thanks,
Chuck