commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [jelly] moved werkz tags
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 19:19:12 GMT
On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 11:16, James Strachan wrote:

> I think I'd like to keep the Ant tag library inside the Jelly distro as its
> very useful to be able to use Ant tasks inside of Jelly. It also means Jelly
> based testing frameworks like Latka or Ant based frameworks that use Jelly
> like Anteater can make use of Ant tasks without being dependent on Maven.
> Who knows, maybe one day Ant itself could use Jelly to script its tasks too.

Yes, it would be nice if all that great utility code was taken out of
Ant and put in the commons and use a dynabean adapter to turn the
utility bean into a task for use in Ant. I think that is the most
fundametnal design error and drawback to Ant is that everything that is
basically really just a bean is bound Task and the very problematic
AntClassLoader.

If the utility code was taken out of Ant I imagine you could get an
compatible mechanism up and running in a couple months. That would be a
huge unification and allow access to all the utility code in Ant which
is very annoying to use outside of Ant currently.

> James
> -------
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

jvz.