commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Jelly] JellyServlet
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:26:14 GMT
Hi Kelvin

Any chance you could resend your patch by using the command

    cvs diff -u File >> patch.txt

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/patches.html

I'll just help me be able to apply it.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelvin Tan" <kelvin-lists@relevanz.com>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 6:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Jelly] JellyServlet

James,

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:18:21 -0000, James Strachan said:
>Thanks for the patch Kelvin, I've committed it to CVS.
>
>I made a minor patch so that the URI itself could denote the script
>to run.
>So you could just run http://localhost:8080/foo/index.jelly for
>example, rather than requiring a template=index.jelly query
>parameter..

That's nice. I have changed the parameter "template" to "script". Its
just that I'm so used to using Velocity. The patch you made uses
getServletPath, which returns the url of the servlet being called.
I've changed it to getPathInfo.

Another thing. Is it really appropriate to require all scripts to be
located beneath the web app's context root (which getResource does)?
The previous impl using new File(script).getUrl had no such
limitation...

>Some thoughts for further improvement could be...
>
>* implement a JellyServletContext so that the getResource() method
>will use the ServletContext.getResource() method and allow access of
>relative URIs when performing <j:include>'s.

done.

?

>* implement the JSTL mappings of request parameters, session
>parameters, cookies etc in the expression language.
>
>* it'd be nice to have a cache of Jelly Scripts to avoid parsing
>them each time! :-)

Here's something which is a little surprise. So it means Jelly is not
internally caching scripts? This has some implications for usage of
Jelly as a templating subsystem for high-load systems, I imagine.

In any event, perhaps it would be a better idea to cache at the
engine level, rather than the servlet level, no?

See attached for patch to JellyServlet and JellyServletContext.

Regards,
Kelvin

--------
The book giving manifesto     - http://how.to/sharethisbook