commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Release Issue 1 - dependencies
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:25:20 GMT
From: "Morgan Delagrange" <mdelagra@yahoo.com>
> --- Sam Ruby <rubys@apache.org> wrote:
> > Morgan Delagrange wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, it's definitely a full-fledged application,
> > like
> > > Latka and Catcus.  Ripe for promotion, should
> > someone
> > > volunteer to make it happen, call the vote, help
> > with
> > > the repackaging, rippling GUMP failures, etc.
> >
> > Rippling GUMP failures?  It is not like anything
> > which has a dependency
> > on Jelly has seen any any gump builds for months or
> > anything.
>
> Absolutely.  That's part of what I'm trying to address
> by breaking up the Jelly build into 1) the "core"
> library and tags and 2) separate builds for each
> additional tag.  That way, when HttpClient snapshot
> 20021214 has a different interface than 20021208, the
> entire GUMP world doesn't suffer.

Agreed.

I'll try get some time this week though it might have to wait until next
wednesday when I've some spare cycles - but I'll try create an experimental
build of some seperate libraries in the sandbox (say, JellySWT for
starters). Then once thats working and the website & documentation is
working, I'll mail the list and we can start moving Jelly over to commons
proper with a small core with a few solid dependencies and then lots of
optional libraries.

Then folks that depend on Jelly should have a small, stable core on which to
depend and the GUMP builds should just work (I hope).

> And that's why I'm only mildly interested in moving
> out of commons.

Me too.

James
-------