commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] moving Jelly to the commons proper
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:37:29 GMT
From: "Tomasz Pik" <pikus@ais.pl>
> James Strachan wrote:
> > The Jelly code base has been stable for some time and it'd be good to
get a
> > stable release of Jelly out so other projects like Maven, Cactus and
Latka
> > can depend on a stable, supported release. So I'd like to propose that
Jelly
> > be moved to the commons proper where we can start work on getting things
in
> > place for an official release.
>
> I'm not a commiter, just asking:
> Will the release contain all tag libraries?
> I think that it would be better to release Jelly with some tag libraries
> but maybe not with all of them. And release some tag libraries in the
> independent way. This 'big' library may be hard to maintain then 'core'
> distribution and set of tag libraries. (Remember problems with logging
> Log4J support and NPEs?)

Agreed. I think a small core of Jelly with few dependencies, then other
libraries available seperately would be a great idea. Its a common complaint
that 'Jelly has lots of dependencies' when really the core is pretty small
and has few non-commons dependencies, its just that different libraries have
dependencies on other libraries.

We could still create a 'one big jar' if need be (like commons-core, or
ant-optional etc) or could leave each add-on library as a seperate jar for
those wishing a more fine grained control. What I'd really like is a
Maven-plugin style model where new libraries and their dependencies could be
loaded on demand (if need be) from a small core in a JJAR / Maven / forehead
/ classworlds kinda way.

One of the main aims of proposing Jelly to the commons proper is so that the
community can decide the best release form of Jelly. I'd appreciate any
feedback on these ideas

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/