commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject [general] Killing projects (Was: [pattern] Proposed removal of project)
Date Sun, 24 Nov 2002 08:55:51 GMT

[The suggestion is that the pattern project be removed from the /home/cvs
icarus directory, and not just cvs removed]

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Steve Downey wrote:

> I think it's a good idea. A project in the sandbox should either be in or out
> at some point. And if it's not in, why is it sitting about looking like it's
> a real Apache product?

Agreed. Should it in anyway be archived in a non-published place? Or do we
cast it out. Patterns is different in that most of it moved to other
projects, but for something like cjan, the whole project would be dying.

Earlier we had realisations that all code that is published by Apache must
be legally published, and that having code in view-cvs did in fact count
as publishing.

cvs-removing a project leaves those files in the Attic, which are still
published by Apache, and yet those cvs removed files are not in a
maintained project, just a piece of loose deadwood. This suggests that the
projects ought not to continue to be published by Apache.

At the same time, it is common practice to never throw away anything which
has been published. Especially not to throw away anything that has been
released [that's one of the beauty's of open source]. Do we [and possibly
the Incubator project can advise here] throw away the projects which
failed our incubation process? Do we archive them to another location?

While I think it's a good idea, I think it's something which needs to be
in the Commons charter, where do projects go when they 'die'.

This would then be applied to other projects, for example:

patterns, cjan, altrmi, armi, cadastre, graph, latka/latka-webapp?

Hen