commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: installing jakarta code Was: using commons components and logging
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 20:54:47 GMT

So you suggest that we no longer create zips/tar.gz's and just put jars on
a Maven repository and tell everyone that to use a library they must build
with Maven?

I think Maven could help with this, or a similar tool, but in a different
way. When the tool creates our distribution, it also creates an ant file
which contains the dependencies that are needed and can be run.

ant -f get_dependencies.xml

this sucks each dependency down [no project.xml remember, it's just a part
of the tar.gz] and puts them in a directory called 'dependencies' or 'lib'
or something.

It can happily use the maven biblio, though that implies that a much
faster build -> maven repo turn around is needed.

What I'm looking for are ideas that will work with the existing structure
and not revolutions :) So, how can we re-package our current code so that
user's don't plough every-time into the dependency hunt.

Hen