commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject [lang] Moving parts of patterns to lang
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:26:18 GMT

I'd like to kick off a discussion on moving some parts of [patterns] over
to [lang]. The parts in question are:

Predicate - Object -> boolean
Transformer - Object -> Object
Command - Object -> void
Factory - void -> Object

The parts not in scope are:

The reasoning for the move is that the above four sub-packages are now
mature, and would be of use to both the Collections and IO codebases. All
four sub-packages above would get promoted into:

which is what their equivalents in Collections are called. The ones in
Collections currently, Predicate, Transformer, Factory, would I assume be
deprecated in favour of the ones currently in Patterns.

Collections currently calls the Command interface a Closure. We may want
to repeat this debate again.

I'm not assuming that Collections would automatically be dependent on
these by the way, but it seems like a logical step. There has been some
concern over whether Collections should add yet another dependency, so
that would need to be broached later.

Identifier and Bean might later move to Util or somesuch, or Patterns
would remain.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message