commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [beanutils] PropertyUtils.setProperty on classes which extend Map
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:12:21 GMT
On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 11:25 PM, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

> AFAIK, we've never promised that the BeanUtils or PropertyUtils code
> formally support Maps as the *destination* of a property set operation,
> even though they are acceptable as the source in certain scenarios.  In
> addition, if we're going to support setting via PropertyUtils, we
> certainly should support getting for symmetry.

i certainly agree with the point above but... just to be clear (which i
probably wasn't before)

the bug (as far as i understand it) concerns setting normal bean
properties on a bean that extends Hashtable. i have a bean with a property
that is set successfully when the class doesn't extend hashtable. when i
change the class definition so that it extends Hashtable, the property is
no longer set by PropertyUtils.

so, it seems that this is a bug and isn't related to supporting maps as
pseudo-beans (i'll create a new thread for that discussion).

- robert