commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <...@AlmostHuman.com>
Subject Re: [beanutils] Map as a pseudo-bean...? [was Re: [beanutils] PropertyUtils.setProperty on classes which extend Map]
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:25:15 GMT
On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 08:07 PM, Juozas Baliuka wrote:

> It is trivial to generate "bean" at runtime, but it can be used in
> "untyped" languages only.
>  Map can be used the same way, without any "adapter".
> I think type information is useless in this case ( "script" doe's not use
> it ).
> Are "dynabeans" used as some kind of workaround for "not map enabled"
> frameworks  ?

i don't how you could use them but i don't think that this is the reason
why they were developed.

AFAIK they act as adapters (for bean-centric environments) for data which
isn't in beans. for example, they can be used to wrap a resultset so that
it appears to be beans. if the bean-centric environment uses beanutils for
it's introspection then the dynabean wrapping the resultset will look and
behaviour like a bean.

(i'm not a dynabeans expert so hopefully i'll be corrected if i've gone
wrong.)

- robert