commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [all]Naming conventions (where do I find 'em?)
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:29:20 GMT
On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 12:47 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Jeff Varszegi wrote:

<snip>

>> 1. Are there naming standards to which the Jakarta community adheres?
>
> The Sun coding standards are often adhered to. There are some other
> Jakarta projects which have coding standards, Turbine do I think, and
> Avalon might as well. Tomcat? And their standards are often chosen by
> particular projects in Commons.

just for the record (and hopefully people will set me right if i go wrong)

jakarta uses lazy delegation for coding standards. jakarta has a top level
set of standards. but any subproject can override any standard or add
enhancements by explictly creating their own standards. components in the
commons can in addition lazily delegate from any commons subproject-level
coding standards.

avalon and turbine are two projects which have well developed (but
different) coding standards. a number of other subprojects use those
standards rather than creating their own.

AFAIK commons has been too lazy to draw up any coding standards and so we
default to the sun standards.

where would you look to find coding standards for components?

IMHO they should be in the top level of the component's cvs folder. they
should probably have a specified name and format so that people can find
them. but at the moment, this hasn't been done. i'd say that this is an
oversight that needs correcting.

>> 2. Is everything that has been previously named set in stone?  (If so,
>> I won't bring such things up.)
>
> Depends on releases ususally. Things have to be slowly deprecated for a
> rename and often it's not worth the 2 or 3 releases worth of management.
>
> I agree with both of your renamings though. The renamed ones make more
> sense if they could be applied.

IMHO pure renaming is the easiest deprecation case to maintain. what's
crucial, though, is that time's taken to ensure that the improved names
are exactly right.

- robert