commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [lang] MethodUtils - assignableFrom
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:55:31 GMT
On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 11:05 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> Ahh, now I remember my thinking...
>
> ClassUtils version is non-reflection specific, thus it knows nothing about
> Boolean to boolean mappings for reflection purposes.
>
> ReflectionUtils.isCompatable() was (I think) intended to be the new
> MethodUtils.isAssignmentCompatible(). However on a quick review of the
> code
> I think I missed the vital Boolean to boolean part.
>
> The basic aim was to say that isAssignmentCompatible() is too general to
> be
> just in MethodUtils, but is reflection specific, so should be in
> ReflectionUtils.

i've added another isCompatable (which is basically the
isAssignmentCompatable from MethodUtils) and changed the existing method
so that it handles widening.

getMatchingAccessibleMethod is the next bit in next in line.

this is what class.getMethod should be (but isn't at least - for pre 1.4
JVMs). in other words, it should give the same result through reflection
as the compiler would give. the reason why it's so long and complex is
that it consists of a series of workarounds for various bugs in various
JVM's.

i'd like to see the getMethod method take advantage of these workarounds.
any objections if i start to work in this direction?

- robert