commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <>
Subject Re: [Betwixt] linking multiple xml documents
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:14:25 GMT
On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 07:21 PM, wrote:

> <---------------
>>> There are 2 problems:
>>> - ID/IDREF do not allow references between xml sources
>> (they are just for
>>> internal references)
>> this restriction only applies if the IDREF is defined in the
>> DTD. you can
>> tell betwixt that the IDREF is any attribute you want - it
>> doesn't have to
>> match the definition in the DTD.
> ---------------->
> This seems to me not the right way it should be handled. ID/IDREF are part
> of the XML specification. Afaik to use them in another way would violate
> the
> specification and might lead into troubles with other XML tools/libraries.

betwixt differs from most alternative solutions in that it's not schema
based. betwixt just knows what you tell it. since you tell it about the ID/
IDREF mapping, you could make this mapping anything you like.

of course, just because you could do this doesn't mean that you should...

- robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message