commons-dev mailing list archives

From Victor Volle <victor.vo...@gmxpro.net>
Subject Re: [clazz] draft reflect implementation
Date Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:46:48 GMT
Dmitri

Dmitri wrote:
> Victor Volle wrote:
> > PS: I am hesitating to offer my help, yet (besides criticism :-))
> > because I am still not sure that I can use it for my own project
> > and I would like to wait for the "dust to settle".
> Critisizm is in fact extremely valuable help.  What I want to know
> is what you think needs to be done in clazz for it to be useful for your
> project.

What I am working at is a simple but generic code generator.
It creates a model from different sources (reflection, XML, XMI,
direct integration with IDEs and so on).
So I could use clazz in to ways:
   1) Simply use its advanced reflection features to load
       my own meta model AND use it when loading from
       XML (where I currently use my own hack of BeanUtils code)
   2) Additionally reuse the clazz meta model but then I would
       have to add a whole bunch of things: Packages as model
       elements (because they meight have Attributes),
       InnerClasses, CompilationUnits (for Import handling
       and type resolving (currently integrated in my MetaClass)),
       MetaTypes (again for (lazy) type resolving).

I am quite sure that I will use clazz for the first purpose,
because I am convinced that clazz is on a good way.
But since the focus of clazz is not (yet) the meta model
but the advanced reflection, I am not sure that the different
use cases could or should be aligned.

Victor