commons-dev mailing list archives

From Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: [SQL] AXgen
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:50:51 GMT

Axel Hohaus wrote:

> Why using a second XML-scheme to generating all output (ddl,
> ojb-classes, repository). XMI is also XML based description of all
> nedded informations.
> Using an existing project, like commons-sql, to individualize ddl's for
> specific RDBMS and generating an simplified XML from Axgen, is an good
> idea.

ok.

> Generating ojb-classes and repository.xml is realized in AXgen and
> don't need a second step.

Well, this is your choice. I will most probably implement these also for
Commons SQL and then there is no real need to duplicate this also in AXgen.

In my view, it is better to have different projects specializing:
* AXgen specializes in (reading in and modeling) XMI related stuff
* Commons SQL specializes in generating database related stuff.

Thus, AXgen is more XMI centric and Commons SQL is more database centric.

But, of course, both can have some overlap, if this seems more suitable
for the people involved...

Rgds,
Neeme