commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: [beanutils] PropertyUtils.setProperty on classes which extend Map
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:26:10 GMT

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:12:21 +0000
> From: robert burrell donkin <>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <>
> Subject: Re: [beanutils] PropertyUtils.setProperty on classes which
>     extend Map
> On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 11:25 PM, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> <snip>
> > AFAIK, we've never promised that the BeanUtils or PropertyUtils code
> > formally support Maps as the *destination* of a property set operation,
> > even though they are acceptable as the source in certain scenarios.  In
> > addition, if we're going to support setting via PropertyUtils, we
> > certainly should support getting for symmetry.
> i certainly agree with the point above but... just to be clear (which i
> probably wasn't before)
> the bug (as far as i understand it) concerns setting normal bean
> properties on a bean that extends Hashtable. i have a bean with a property
> that is set successfully when the class doesn't extend hashtable. when i
> change the class definition so that it extends Hashtable, the property is
> no longer set by PropertyUtils.

Not remembering the details, is it possible that by extending Hashtable
you're creating a situation where you have a property that violates the
JavaBean spec's naming patterns (such as having two setters, or a setter
and a getter with different property types)?  That would certainly cause a
problem like this.

> so, it seems that this is a bug and isn't related to supporting maps as
> pseudo-beans (i'll create a new thread for that discussion).
> - robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message