commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: [beanutils] PropertyUtils.setProperty on classes which extend Map
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:25:17 GMT

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:01:15 +0000
> From: robert burrell donkin <>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers <>
> Subject: [beanutils] PropertyUtils.setProperty on classes which extend Map
> this one is in bugzilla
> i've got a test case which shows that classes which extend map don't have
> the setter called, instead the value is place into the map. i'm also
> willing to take a look at creating a fix.
> just wanted to check that: is this a bug (rather than some obscure feature
> i'm not aware of)?

AFAIK, we've never promised that the BeanUtils or PropertyUtils code
formally support Maps as the *destination* of a property set operation,
even though they are acceptable as the source in certain scenarios.  In
addition, if we're going to support setting via PropertyUtils, we
certainly should support getting for symmetry.

I think it's worth investigating whether we can support a Map as a
pseudo-bean -- but that should start with a general analysis of the
problem space (including the thorny issue of deciding what the "property
type" of such a property should be if there is no current value for a
particular key), rather than a piecemeal fix to one aspect of the

I'm game to participate (a little) in a discussion like that -- just don't
have the cycles to lead one.  Do you?

> - robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>