commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Varszegi <jvarsz...@yahoo.com>
Subject [collections] Okay, so I made a SkipList...
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:32:30 GMT
... a SkipListMap, actually, to be a new sort of SortedMap.  I spent lots of time doing everything
I know of to make it run super-fast except object caching, and it still runs about a quarter
slower than TreeMap.  Experimented with lots of different probability factors during the level
generation, but it didn't affect anything.  What a letdown-- I was really excited about the
damn
thing.  Now I'd rather spend my time enhancing TreeMap if possible.

Guess you shouldn't believe everything you read.  SkipLists suck.  I saw some information
on how
they can reduce the possibility of disk thrashing, which sounds cool, but as a general-purpose
sorting structure they really aren't the cat's pyjamas.  -Jeff